Monday, March 12, 2012

New happenings in my garden

Remember my Japanese Maple Trees I bought from a nursery in OK. Here they are today - looking very nice with pretty red leaves. They're still in big pots as I'm still working on their exact placement in my yard. I want to be sure the shady area I've picked really is shady once we get into the heat of the summer.



This one is the 'Acer disectum (laceleaf) weeping Crimson Queen'. Love the lace leaves.

This one is 'Acer palmatum Emperor I.'




Do you hate weeds?  I hate weeds.  This is the pile of weeds I pulled yesterday. My yard is so full of weeds - I'm sure I should receive some sort of award on how many weeds can be pulled in one afternoon - and let me tell you - my ham strings are really sore this morning!   
Last fall, I planted some herbs in the garden - just for fun.  Wanted to see how they did.  This is spearmint - and it's really taken off.  Looks a bit invasive  - but I won't hold that against it. 
 
Those are just a few things happening in my garden these days.  Looking forward to nice warm sunny days this week. 
 

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see you last Saturday at the greenhouse. It was my first visit and it was really enjoyable. Thanks for the snow ball plants...I hope they like my yard. The maples are so pretty this time of year with their delicate leaves. The tips on mine typically get a little scorched by the end of summer but they always pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the Japanese Maples. Unfortunately, I lost mine in drought, but I will try again in the future. Maybe I'll try growing one in a pot. Do you think the smaller ones could stay in a pot indefinitely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be fond of imported and rare plants. =) I like that spearmint. I’ve been longing to have that kind of plant. Herbs with aromatic fragrances are what I like the most. In any case, you’ve got a spacious and pleasant-looking yard right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Maples are so pretty. Mint is very invasive, give it an inch of water and it will grow for miles!! Smells good though. Isn't it amazing how well weeds go? Love your 'mound'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - I like the Emperor and the Crimson Queen - I have Bloodgood but I'd like to know more about which specific varieties are the toughest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your maple tree! It looks elegant. Let’s hope it grows strong, and when it does, make sure you transfer it to heavier soil such as clay. That will help moderate the temperature and moisture of the soil so that tree will stand firm. It would be lovely to see it in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just now seeing this post and just wanted to say that I hope you found the right place in your yard for the maple trees...they are so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see a maple tree, the next thing that would come to my mind is the Sakura flower! I love those plants! Is it hard to grow maple tree? I really want to plant maple trees in our backyard. I just don’t know if I can grow one.

    -Katy Eagles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I was JUST googling Japanese maples for containers! Im sick of dealing with the water in my stock tanks and I think those will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete