Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sometimes, things just come together....

This past Sunday was a busy one for me......

Sometimes - things just have a way of coming together. Last year I needed my roof replaced, and the roofers killed the grass right near the house - in the corner of my front yard. Before the roofers came, the grass was up to the edge of the small patio in front of my front door. But ladders and guys walking on the grass, killed it. What's a gardener to do but dig it up and plant something!




I had some landscaping rock I bought from craigslist last year - so used it as the border. I knew that the varigated lirope did well during last summer's heat and this winter's freezes - so I bought a plat of it from Home depot. I also bought a plat of begonia's - even though they are really annuals, they take shade and bloom well in this area.

This is basically 'the cake'. I plan on getting lots more to plant as the 'icing on the cake'. I'm thinking of more color - maybe heucheras and coleus. It's fully shaded, so will have to consider that when picking out plants. Also, I need some sort of a focal point - that will come over time.

My other endeavour on that beautiful Sunday was to 'finish' my greenhouse. I had purchased a used 6'x8' greenhouse - glass with aluminum frame - from craigslist last fall. I worked on getting the glass installed as time allowed - and Viola! There it is. My Greenhouse!

Sunday I spent the day collecting and hauling pea gravel available for free to my subdivision from the hoa play ground that is being redone. I also put in more of the glass panes. I was putting in the LAST piece of glass in the roof and must have given the glass a bit of 'torque' - it broke right in my hands.... so I still need to get one more piece of glass and install it - then I will truly be in business!


I'm hoping that this weekend I can be as productive!

8 comments:

  1. Too bad the glass pieces from our window replacement project won't work--I think they both have a corner that got broken off, and I'm sure they're too small (maybe 3' by 2')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy! Everything looks GREAT though. Can't wait to see the front bed fill in and the focal point you pick. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you are feeling elated after doing all these projects. I applaud you for making use of recycled materials. That's the way to go. One mans trash etc.... What do you plan for your greenhouse? Is it to be for winter use? You may need to put shade cloth over it if you plant to use it this spring. I have 70% on mine. It still gets very warm in there but then we are in full sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your greenhouse is great! Hope you didn't get hurt when the glass broke in your hands. I don't have much shade for gardening. I have violas, cast iron plant, begonias, foxtail fern, and oxalis. I forgot about Coleus it is pretty and colorful. Have you ever grown ginger?
    You mentioned your cannas on your comment. I just looked outside and what did I see? Little shoots coming up...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice greenhouse! I'm sure it's finished by now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your grass has finally regrown. Hehehe. Your green house is looking good. I'm sure your patio will be blooming in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some tubs have a fixed metal screen and some have a loose rubber plug. If you have a fixed drain cover you'll need to remove this cover so the Hair Stopper will fit. fix roof

    ReplyDelete